Toledo, Ohio — Four teenage boys will remain in an Ohio jail on murder charges in the death of a man struck by a sandbag thrown from an interstate overpass.
The boys, ages 13 to 15, appeared in juvenile court Wednesday in Toledo where they entered denial pleas to the murder charges.
Prosecutors filed the new charges Tuesday against the boys after 22-year-old Marquise Byrd died Friday at a hospital.
He had been sitting in the front passenger seat of a car traveling south on Interstate 75 in Toledo when a sandbag smashed through the windshield Dec. 19.
The Warren, Michigan, man was in the front passenger seat of a car traveling south on Interstate 75 in Toledo when a sandbag smashed through the windshield on Dec. 19.
The Lucas County Coroner’s Office says Byrd died of blunt-force trauma injuries to the head and neck.
Sean Carter, 14, William Parker, 14, Pedro Salinas, 13, and Demetrius Wimberly, 14, have been charged as adults, which means they face up to life in prison
Police and a prosecutor have said the teens threw other objects from the overpass that night.
In the 911 call from the evening, the driver, who says her name is Armani, panics when she doesn't see her friend move. "I don't know what happened, my friend ... I don't know what happened, he's not moving," she said.
"I was just driving underneath the bridge and something hit my car ... I think this windshield may have smacked his head," she said.