The Novi Oaks Hotel was briefly evacuated Wednesday evening after high carbon monoxide levels were found at the site, fire officials reported.
Crews were called to the building on South Karevich Drive, near Twelve Oaks Mall, about 5:20 p.m. and determined a faulty pool heater was leaking, according to the Fire Department.
At least 15-20 people were evacuated.
While the hotel was cleared, Consumers Energy workers tended to the leak; the heater is slated to remain off until repaired, a fire captain said.
Guests and staff were able to return by 9 p.m. No injuries or hospitalizations were reported.
The incident came less than a month after a 13-year-old boy died and more than six people were hospitalized following a carbon monoxide leak at the Quality Inn & Suites in Niles. The west Michigan community’s Fire Department mechanical inspector said a pool heater had improper ventilation.