Wayne County officials Friday warned of possible exposure to measles at a Northville restaurant.
The warning comes after the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services reported two cases of measles in the state.
Officials with the county's Department of Health, Veterans and Community Wellness said people who patronized the Early Bird Café at 333 E. Main St. in Northville between 7:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. on April 8th could have been exposed to the measles.
Measles is an infectious respiratory illness that spreads through coughing and sneezing. Symptoms include a rash, fever, cough, runny nose and red eyes. An infection can be serious, leading to pneumonia or inflammation of the brain.
People who were at the restaurant during that time should monitor themselves for fever and rash and other symptoms consistent with measles through April 29, officials said.
Officials said the issue was tied to one of the restaurant's customers, not a food safety or sanitation problem.
“Because an individual can spread measles before they know they have it, the best prevention is to be up to date on vaccinations,” Ruta Sharangpani, Wayne County’s Medical Director of Wellness Services, said in a statement.
For information on measles, log on to the CDC website.