With winter in full swing, illnesses like the flu, RSV and the common cold are running rampant throughout Michigan. Achy muscles, pounding headaches, upset stomachs – nobody likes being sick! So we avoid public places and door handles like the plague (since there’s a good chance they have the actual plague), but we rarely consider the danger at home. Microorganisms are equal-opportunity intruders! Here are a few ways to tell if your house is a haven for germs and bacteria:
- You spend all day on the couch. Winter tends to keep us cooped up indoors, so we turn into couch potatoes until the weather turns warm. Unfortunately, germs love to hide in the nooks and crannies of your furniture, making your comfy spot illness central.
- You can’t remember the original color of the grout in your kitchen floor. Ceramic tiles have the amazing quality of being impermeable, but the grout is a different story. All kinds of nasty microscopic organisms can hide in its porous surface, making the 5-second rule even grosser than it already is.
- You find yourself dusting too often. Dust is made up of skin flakes, dust mites, pet dander, and other foul particulate. If you’re dusting more and more frequently, the problem might lie in your ductwork. Dirty ducts will circulate dust and particulate throughout your home’s air, giving germs an easy way to travel to every room in the house.
- You have spots on your hardwood that just don’t seem to come clean. Mopping wood floors is a great way to maintain their appearance, but over time soap scum can accumulate and attract soil and other unpleasant things.
- Your mattress weighs more than when you bought it. Over time, mattresses accumulate dead skin, sweat, dust, mites and all kinds of disgusting debris. Undoubtedly you’ve heard that a mattress will double in weight every 8 years. That might be a slight exaggeration, but there’s definitely junk left behind when you get out of bed in the morning.
Seems hopeless, doesn’t it? If you can’t get away from germs at home, what chance do your family and kids have to stay healthy? Fortunately, professional deep cleaning services can help de-germify your house. A proper truck-mounted hot water extraction system will clean with fresh water hot enough to kill bacteria on carpet, upholstery, tile, hardwood, and other surfaces where germs will be hiding. Your home doesn’t have to be a danger to your family’s health!