17 LINKEDIN 29 COMMENTMORE

East Lansing — A four-month investigation by the Michigan State University Police that included interviews of more than 100 witnesses led to charges against three former football players in an alleged sexual assault on campus.

The investigation was detailed in a 226-page report released by the MSU Police to The Detroit News on Wednesday in response to a Freedom of Information Act request.

The report is heavily redacted and includes only the names of those charged — Josh King, Donnie Corley and Demetric Vance.

Over 200 of the 226 pages in the report had at least some material redacted in it.

While the names of all witnesses were redacted, the report did reveal that of those interviewed, more than a dozen were Michigan State football players while at least eight MSU basketball players and nine MSU women’s basketball players were interviewed. Additionally, the entire football coaching staff was interviewed.

“The MSUPD's sexual assault investigation involving three former football players was diligent and exhaustive," MSU spokesperson Jason Cody said. "As the police report shows, our detectives and officers pursued every lead available during their investigation.”

King has been charged with first-degree criminal sexual conduct and third-degree criminal sexual conduct as well as capturing and disseminating images of an unclothed person. Corley and Vance have been charged with third-degree criminal sexual conduct.

All three were dismissed from the football team by coach Mark Dantonio. Each have preliminary exams schedule for September in 54B District Court in East Lansing.

The report began after the alleged incident occurred on the early morning hours of Jan. 16 during a party at University Village Apartments. It concluded with a follow-up interview with the victim on June 9, three days after the players had been charged.

Along the way, according to the report, search warrants were conducted on the dorm rooms of each of the accused while cell phones and clothing was confiscated by the MSU Police.

The MSU Police submitted four warrant requests on Feb. 16 to the Ingham County Prosecutor and followed up with additional information a month later. While the prosecutor reviewed the charges, the report shows police continued to interview those involved in the case.

Former staffer Curtis Blackwell was also investigated after he spoke with the players about the incident. However, the Ingham County Prosecutor declined to bring charges against the one-time head of Michigan State’s recruiting.

He was suspended with pay on Feb. 9 and had his contract extended by one month through the end of May when Dantonio announced Blackwell’s contract would not be renewed. Dantonio said the move was made for “philosophical” reasons.

matt.charboneau@detroitnews.com

twitter.com/mattcharboneau

17 LINKEDIN 29 COMMENTMORE