Caesars Windsor casino union rejects contract offer
Windsor — Unionized workers at Caesars Windsor rejected a new contract agreement Friday, a move that will continue the strike that has idled the entertainment complex and hotel for the past 42 days.
About 53 percent of the Unifor Local 444 members voted against ratifying the offer. Unifor 444 represents 1,345 full-time workers and 567 part-time employees at Caesars Windsor.
“We are incredibly disappointed in the outcome of today’s vote which was fully endorsed by both the Unifor National and Local 444 bargaining teams,” Caesars Entertainment Regional President Kevin Laforet said in a statement.
“The agreement is more than fair and sustainable. I personally want to apologize for the continued inconvenience this causes our customers. The long-term effect on our business goes well-beyond revenue loss and is immeasurable.”
The casino and union have “no plans to return to the bargaining table” for now, Laforet said.
Fifty-three percent of the union membership voted not to ratify the new contract.
It was the second membership vote to fail to ratify a new contract. Last month, members voted down an initial agreement with a 59 percent majority vote, which resulted in dealers, housekeepers, cooks and other staff walking off their jobs.
Details of the proposed pact, reached following a marathon 15-hour bargaining session earlier this week, were not immediately disclosed. Members voted Friday morning at the WFCU Centre on McHugh Street.