Hondas top most-stolen vehicle list
The National Insurance Crime Bureau released its annual “Hot Wheels” list of the 10 most stolen vehicles in America during 2015. The Des Plaines, Illinois, nonprofit dedicated to deterring auto theft and insurance fraud, identified the most stolen vehicles of any model year.
Older Honda Accords and Civics topped the nationwide list for the third year in a row. For newer models from 2010 to 2015, Toyota was the vehicle of choice for thieves; the Toyota Corolla, Nissan Altima and Toyota Camry were the most stolen newer cars, respectively.
In Michigan, thieves had a preference for Detroit iron. Every vehicle on the top 10 list was a domestic, with the 2008 Chevrolet Impala coming in at No. 1 and the 1999 Chevrolet Silverado at No. 2.
“While older vehicles still dominate our Hot Wheels most stolen list, the number of late model vehicles with anti-theft protection on the list goes to show that technology isn’t foolproof,” NICB President and CEO Joe Wehrle said.
The most stolen vehicles are perennial best-sellers in the U.S., and the Accord consistently has ranked in the top five since the NICB began issuing the annual Hot Wheels report in 1995.
One of the biggest reasons for auto theft is owners leaving their cars unlocked or with the keys inside. The hottest wheels are not the flashiest cars; thieves prefer common cars with common parts that can be stripped and sold to unscrupulous service centers.
The Chicago Tribune contributed.
Michigan’s 10 most-stolen
1. Chevrolet Impala, 2008
2. Chevrolet Silverado, 1999
3. Ford F-150, 2006
4. Dodge Caravan, 2003
5. Dodge Charger, 2015
6. Chevrolet Trailblazer, 2007
7. Chevrolet Malibu, 2013
8. Pontiac Grand Prix, 2004
9. Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee, 2000
10. Ford Fusion, 2014
U.S. 10 most-stolen
1. Honda Accord, 52,244 stolen; 1996 most popular with 7,944 stolen
2. Honda Civic, 49,430 stolen; 1998 most popular with 7,376 stolen
3. Ford F-150, 29,396 stolen; 2006 most popular with 2,958 stolen
4. Chevrolet Silverado, 27,771 stolen; 2004 most popular with 1,825 stolen
5. Toyota Camry, 15,446 stolen; 2014 most popular with 1,163 stolen
6. Dodge Ram pickup, 11,212 stolen; 2001 most popular with 1,130 stolen
7. Toyota Corolla, 10,574 stolen; 2014 most popular with 865 stolen
8. Nissan Altima, 10,374 stolen; 2015 most popular with 1,104 stolen
9. Dodge Caravan, 9798 stolen; 2002 most popular with 1,328 stolen
10. Chevrolet Impala, 9225 stolen; 2008 most popular with 869 stolen