SUBSCRIBE NOW
99¢ per month for 3 months
SUBSCRIBE NOW
99¢ per month for 3 months

Ford extends GT supercar production by two years

Michael Martinez
The Detroit News

Ford Motor Co. said Thursday it will extend production of its wildly popular GT supercar for another two years.

The Dearborn automaker received more than 6,000 applications for the first 500 GTs that will be produced as 2017 and 2018 model-year cars. Thursday’s announcement would theoretically extend the supercar’s run through the 2020 model year, although Ford did not specify an exact date. It also did not specify how many vehicles would be produced, but it’s likely to be about 250 per year.

“While we can’t build enough Ford GTs for everyone who has applied, we are going to produce additional vehicles in an effort to satisfy more of our most loyal Ford ambassadors,” Dave Pericak, global director, Ford Performance, said in a statement. “We want to keep Ford GT exclusive, but at the same time we know how vital this customer is to our brand.”

Ford said the third year of production will be set aside for applicants who were placed on the wait list for the first batch of cars. The application process for the fourth-year production cars will open in early 2018.

The automaker said those who have already applied for the GT will need to update their requests.

Two additional years of production corresponds to news last month that the automaker was extending the GT racing program through the 2019 season.

“Ford GT has racing in its blood,” Raj Nair, Ford executive vice president, product development, and chief technical officer, said. “The road car and race car will live on, side-by-side, for the next four years — providing ample opportunity to test and prove innovative new technologies both on and off the track.”

Ford will begin building the new supercar in Ontario this fall. It will arrive in garages by the end of the year.

mmartinez@detroitnews.com

(313) 222-2401

Twitter.com/MikeMartinez_DN