Porsche to sit out 2017 Detroit auto show
Porsche will sit out the 2017 North American International Auto Show next year in Detroit.
Max Muncey, the show’s public relations manager, confirmed a report by German magazine Auto Motor und Sport that Volkswagen’s luxury sports car brand would skip the Detroit show to focus on other events. Porsche follows Bentley, Jaguar, Land Rover, Maserati, Tesla and Rolls-Royce which opted out of the 2016 show.
“If their product lineup doesn’t correspond with a media announcement, they tend to shift their marketing focus,” Muncey said. “Certainly, automakers come to the show to make a big splash. We’re not a market show or a consumer show.”
A 2016 PRIME Research study found NAIAS is the most influential auto show in terms of its global reach in the first week of coverage. Last year, 5,068 journalists from 60 different countries visited Cobo Center.
Porsche skipped the 2009 Detroit show but has been back every year since 2010, Muncey said. “This isn’t a reflection that they’re out permanently,” he said.
Porsche did not immediately return requests for comment.
The brand had a 12,600-square-foot display at the 2016 show. Muncey said that floor space has been re-allocated to partially accommodate Chinese automaker GAC, which is returning to the show in 2017 after it unveiled an SUV at the 2015 show.
Despite not having a presence on the show floor, ultra-luxury brands tend to participate in “The Gallery,” an exotic car show annually held at MGM Grand Casino in Detroit before the official start of the show. It features vehicles with a $100,000 minimum price point.
“They can bring their products and get them in front of the people who can afford to have that key on their keychain,” Muncey said.
Media days for the 2017 Detroit show are slated for Jan. 9-10; public days will be Jan. 14-22.