2 more publishers withdraw from BookExpo
New York – Three of the top five publishers in the U.S. will not be attending BookExpo, the industry’s national convention. Organizers already had pushed back the event from May to July in the hopes of easing concerns about the coronavirus pandemic.
Simon & Schuster and HarperCollins Publishers both announced Tuesday that they had dropped out, citing the coronavirus, and Penguin Random House announced last week that it would not go.
BookExpo usually attracts tens of thousands, from authors and editors to librarians and agents. It is to be held this year at New York City’s Jacob Javits Convention Center, which the state of New York is currently converting into a medical facility in anticipation of a surge of patients requiring hospitalization. The state has the country’s highest number of reported cases.
BookExpo event manager Jenny Martin said in a statement that she was “disappointed” by the publishers’ decisions, but the event was still scheduled to take place.
“I want to assure everyone that we are working closely with the Javits Center to ensure the health and safety of our customers.” Martin said. “It is noble what they are doing, opening their doors to overflow patients so that those who are infected with COVID-19 will have focused care in the city’s hospitals. We are all doing the best we can during these times, and what that means for BookExpo is to work hard to provide the place that gives our customers the tools to bounce back from this.”
BookExpo has been an industry tradition for more than 70 years, with guests speakers ranging from former President Barack Obama to John Updike.