Sheriff says no signs of trauma on Prince
Minneapolis — – Authorities say there were no signs of trauma on Prince’s body when he was found unresponsive late Thursday morning in an elevator on the first floor of his suburban Minneapolis home, after staff members were unable to contact the 57-year-old musician. They also said suicide isn’t suspected in his death.
During a news conference Friday, Carver County Sheriff Jim Olson and a medical examiner’s office spokeswoman declined to discuss whether any prescription drugs were found in Prince’s home after his death, or to discuss a report that the musician suffered a drug overdose less than a week before he died.
An autopsy was completed earlier Friday, though preliminary findings weren’t immediately released.
Olson says the last time Prince was seen alive was the night before emergency crews found him. The local sheriff says an acquaintance dropped off the singer-songwriter-musician at his compound around 8 p.m. Wednesday.
Olson says Prince was “a very private person” and he didn’t think it was unusual for the singer to be alone at his sprawling compound. The sheriff declined to say who made the initial 911 call, saying that information is private.
But he promised to fully investigate the death, saying: “This is certainly a big event internationally and nationally and I can tell you that we are going to leave no stone unturned on this and make sure the public knows what happened.”
Celebrity website TMZ.com, citing “multiple” unnamed sources, has reported that Prince received treatment for a painkiller overdose while traveling home from concerts in Atlanta last week.
TMZ reported last week that Prince’s flight made an emergency landing early April 15 in Moline, Illinois, where he was briefly hospitalized.
Representatives for Prince have not responded to requests from the Associated Press for comment on the reports.
A promoter says Prince was slated to perform a surprise set of shows earlier this week in St. Louis, but canceled last week because of health concerns.
Promoter Steve Litman said Friday that he’d been working for weeks to set up two surprise pop-up shows on April 18 at the Fox Theatre in St. Louis. Litman is executive producer for concerts at the theater.
Litman says tickets were set to go on sale April 15, but that Prince’s representatives told him late on April 14 that Prince needed to back out because of concern he might have to cancel the shows due to illness.
Prince had performed two concerts in Atlanta earlier on April 14 to make up for concerts that he canceled, citing the flu, a week earlier.
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.