Scooter Braun breaks his silence on his Taylor Swift battle
New York – Music manager Scooter Braun has broken his silence regarding his public beef with Taylor Swift, who has called Braun out since she discovered he owned her master recordings.
Braun wrote a lengthy post on Instagram Friday, saying his family has received “numerous death threats” since Swift called on her legion of fans last week to put pressure on Braun and Scott Borchetta – the owners of her masters – to allow her performance to go forward at Sunday’s American Music Awards
“I came home tonight to find my wife had received a phone call threatening the safety of our children, as well as other threats seen above. I won’t go in to the details of this past week. I have been at a loss,” wrote Braun, who also posted a screenshot of one of the vulgar messages he received.
“Thinking of my wife and children, my team and their families, I have gone through a range of emotions on how to deal with this. I write this now only after a deep breath and much reflection. I am certain there is no situation ever worth jeopardizing anyone’s safety.”
Things took a turn for the worst in June when Braun’s Ithaca Holdings announced that it acquired Big Machine Label Group, the label led by Borchetta and home to Swift’s first six albums (Swift is now signed to Universal Music Group’s Republic Records, where she released her latest album “Lover”). Swift said she was sad and grossed out that her music catalog now belongs to Braun, who she accuses of subjecting her to years of incessant and manipulative bullying.
Braun, who manages Grammy-winners including Ariana Grande, Justin Bieber and Tori Kelly, continued to plead to Swift in his new post, explaining that her words carry weight and that he wants to resolve their issues.
“I’m open to ALL possibilities. My attempts and calls to have an open discussion with you over the last 6 months have been all rejected. While some on your team and many of our mutual friends have tried to get you to the table, all have had no luck. It almost feels as if you have no interest in ever resolving the conflict,” Braun wrote. “At this point with safety becoming a concern I have no choice other than to publicly ask for us to come together and try to find a resolution.”
A representative for Swift didn’t immediately reply to an email seeking comment.
Swift is scheduled to perform at Sunday’s AMAs, which will air live on ABC from Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles. In her post last week, she said she had planned to play a medley of her hits at the AMAs but that it was up in the air – along with a forthcoming Netflix documentary – because the men who own her old recordings won’t allow her to play her songs. Her post ignited social media, with the hashtags #IStandWithTaylor and #FreeTaylor trending heavily on Twitter.