Kanye West bails on Coachella, leaving festival under pressure to find a headliner

Christie D'Zurilla
Los Angeles Times

Los Angeles — Kanye West has bailed on Coachella, where he was to have headlined both of the music festival’s two weekends later this month, The Times has confirmed.

The cancellation leaves the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival with only two weeks to find a new headliner, as West was booked for April 17 and 24. Travis Scott was to have joined the rapper – now known as Ye – but he won’t perform either, according to TMZ, which first reported the news.

Kanye West performing at the Coachella Music & Arts Festival in Indio, Calif., April 20, 2019.

Reps for West and for Coachella did not respond immediately to The Times’ request for confirmation or comment Monday.

Ye previously headlined the festival in 2011 and performed his Sunday Service at Coachella on Easter 2019. He threatened earlier this year to pull out of the booking after fellow headliner Billie Eilish didn’t apologize to Scott for something she never said.

On Friday, Page Six cited unnamed sources in reporting that West told ex-wife Kim Kardashian that he was “going away to get help” after weeks of random social media attacks on her and her boyfriend, Pete Davidson.