Santana, wife thank fans after his collapse on Pine Knob stage, release from hospital

Mark Hicks
The Detroit News

Rock legend Carlos Santana collapsed during a performance Tuesday night at Pine Knob Music Theatre in Clarkston when he was overcome by the heat, his management team confirmed on Facebook early Wednesday.

The 74-year-old musician was performing "Joy," a song collaboration with country music singer Chris Stapleton from Santana's latest album, "Blessings and Miracles," before he suddenly stopped.

"He was walking, playing and all of a sudden went down," said Janet Brown of St. Clair Shores, who was attending her fourth Santana concert and celebrating a birthday.

Musician Carlos Santana rehearses prior to Game Two of the 2015 NBA Finals between the Golden State Warriors and the Cleveland Cavaliers at ORACLE Arena on June 7, 2015 in Oakland, California.

The lights dimmed, then venue officials announced Santana would not be returning to the stage.

Team Santana posted to Santana's Facebook page early Wednesday that he was "over-taken by heat exhaustion and dehydration." He was taken to the McLaren Clarkston emergency room for observation "and is doing well," the post said, citing Santana's manager, Michael Vrionis.

Santana was released during the night from the hospital.

The post said Wednesday's show in Burgettstown, Pennsylvania, would be postponed.

Santana's wife Cindy Blackman Santana posted Wednesday on Facebook, thanking fans for their well wishes and confirming that the singer had been diagnosed with heat exhaustion and dehydration. 

"It was 100 degrees on stage and 114 under the lights so that coupled with not enough water is what caused the issue. He’ll be as good as new soon," she wrote. 

Santana commented on the page earlier Wednesday, saying "to one and all. thank you for your precious prayers. Cindy and I we are good just taking it easy. forgot to eat and drink water so I dehydrated and passed out. blessings and miracles to you all."

Santana performed Tuesday after Earth, Wind & Fire as part of their "Miraculous Supernatural Tour."

The tour has 21 dates left through late August before Santana — the artist behind such hits as “Oye Como Va″ and ”Black Magic Woman″ — is scheduled to head back to Las Vegas for his residency at the House of Blues.

The episode was jolting to concertgoers such as Tanisha Rovy of Detroit, who was seeing Santana perform for the first time.

"It’s just very unnerving," she said. "There's not very many people who performed at Woodstock who are with us today."

"You just want to see him perform and everything to end good and not have a situation like this," said John Collins, who had been on the lawn for the concert.

Pine Knob representatives did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Dozens of concertgoers took to Twitter to express their concern.

"Everyone is leaving. God Bless Carlos Santana and watch over him. We need him!" one user said.

Last year, Santana said he had successfully undergone a heart procedure and was canceling several Las Vegas shows planned for December, the Associated Press reported.

He turns 75 this month and has won 10 Grammy awards, including Album of the Year for 1999's "Supernatural."

Reporter Kim Kozlowski and the Associated Press contributed.