Grapevine: Celebs talk about 2017 Best Picture flub
Celebs talk 2017 Oscar Best Picture flub
Ahead of Sunday’s 90th Academy Awards ceremony, the Hollywood Reporter released an oral history of last year’s massive Best Picture flub when “La La Land” was accidentally announced the winner instead of “Moonlight.” Presenter Warren Beatty was given the wrong envelope. According to the article, Beatty held on to the incorrect envelope after the ceremony to prove what had happened and to ensure he wouldn’t be blamed for the mistake. Teni Melidonian of the Academy — who called the whole incident “one of the greatest moments on live television” — explained that Brian Cullinan from the accounting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers was distracted by tweeting and gave the wrong envelope to Beatty. Oscars host Jimmy Kimmel said “to this day, there are people who think I caused the envelope problem.” The Reporter even got Steve Harvey into the conversation. Harvey, who famously read the wrong name at the 2016 Miss Universe pageant, said he was watching the Oscars at home live. “I probably knew what had happened before anybody else — ’cause I saw the panic-stricken look on the producer’s face.” Harvey said he knew he was “finally off the hook” for his mistake, because this was bigger. “When they did it, I lit a cigar and drank a glass of Scotch and celebrated. I was free! Thank you, God!” This year’s ceremony air 8 p.m. Sunday on WXYZ-TV (Channel 7).
Bill Cosby’s daughter Ensa has died
Ensa Cosby, daughter and supporter of disgraced comedian Bill Cosby, has died at age 44. Cause of death wasn’t known, but TMZ reports that she had significant medical issues in the past and was possibly in line for a kidney transplant. Ensa was vocal about the innocence of her father, who was accused of sexual assault by dozens of women. “I strongly believe my father is innocent of the crimes alleged against him, and I believe that racism has played a big role in all aspects of this scandal,” she once said. Cosby’s son, Ennis, was murdered in 1997 during a botched robbery along a Los Angeles freeway exit.
Big Sean scraps upcoming tour
Big Sean has scrapped his upcoming tour, including a June 2 date at Little Caesars Arena, venue officials have confirmed. Fans who purchased tickets for the tour were notified of the cancellation via Ticketmaster. Refunds are available at the point of purchase. The outing was set to launch April 12 at Orlando’s CFE Arena. A note from the rapper posted to the venue’s website reads: “To all my fans: I’ve been in a deep creative space and decided I need to stay focused in the studio — so, unfortunately, I am postponing my upcoming tour. I learned in life you have to follow your intuition — I hope you do the same. Thank you for your continued love and support. It means the world to me. Trust, we are working on something special for you all.”
Heather Locklear arrested Sunday night
Actress Heather Locklear was arrested at her California home Sunday night after deputies responded to a domestic disturbance around 10 p.m. According to the Ventura County Sheriff’s Capt. Garo Kuredjian, Locklear’s boyfriend was injured but declined treatment. The 56-year-old actress allegedly had been combative with deputies, so she also was arrested on three misdemeanor counts of battery on a peace officer. According to the Associated Press, she was booked and released on a $20,000 bail and is due back in court March 13.
Compiled by Melody Baetens
Rozonda “Chilli” Thomas, 47
Chelsea Clinton, 38
Josh Groban, 37
Kate Mara, 35