Design Recipes: Top 10 hottest decor trends this summer
Summer is a time for hot weather and hot trends. There are a number of trends this summer in home decor that may appeal to you to help spice up your home. While summer is typically a time of bright colors, it doesn’t have to be — many of the current trends this summer are a mix of trendy and traditional.
Here are my top 10 hottest decor trends of the summer:
1. Charcoal. Charcoal gray continues to dominate the home decor color palette. The hot trend is to pair charcoal with bold colors such as chartreuse, lime and hot pink, as well as with pale colors such as lavender.
2. Bold graphics. From chevron to medallions, bold graphic patterns continue to dominate prints from upholstery to pillows.
3. Oversized florals. If you haven’t noticed, floral prints are everywhere. But instead of being tiny, meek and mild, they are big, loud and bold.
4. Tweed. Tweed and flannel are two material choices that stand the test of time and never go out of style. In the summer, they take a homeowner seamlessly into fall.
5. Accessorizing with animal figurines. Accessories come in all different shapes, colors and sizes. Horse head, rhino, fish and frog figurines are hot right now.
6. Faux fur. From throws to pillows, faux fur remains a hot trend, and in the summer, it’s an awesome way to incorporate fur without worrying about being overheated.
7. Metallics. Metal finishes from brass to silver continue to dominate the decor scene.
8. Ceramics. Especially in the summer, when flowers fresh from the garden add the perfect touch to a room, ceramics of any shape or color make a versatile accent piece.
9. Wood. From bleached, whitewashed floors to reclaimed headboards and walls, wood is fresh and crisp, and it blends perfectly with almost any summer style.
10. Pastels. From powder pinks, soft blues, lemon yellow and mint green, these colors are right on trend for freshening up summer decor.
Cathy Hobbs, based in New York City, is an Emmy Award-winning television host and a nationally known interior design and home staging expert with offices in New York City, Boston and Washington, D.C. Contact her at email@example.com or visit her website at cathyhobbs.com.