Design Recipes: 8 easy Halloween decorating ideas
Halloween is a favorite holiday for many. It is one of the few holidays in which the focus is on the fun. While you are looking for ways to decorate your home in a festive way this holiday season, why not also look for ways to extend some of your decor year-round? Here are some of my top Design Recipes for transitioning Halloween decor into your home, while also enjoying some of the colors and festive decor beyond the holiday.
1. Gold and orange. These are two colors often associated with fall. And while black and orange are two colors prominent in Halloween decor, bringing orange and yellow into your home during Halloween is a great non-trendy way to celebrate the season.
2. Trick or treat. Many people often think of ghosts and goblins at Halloween, but this is the perfect time of the year to bring wonderful tasty scents into the home. Homemade candles in fragrances such as pumpkin and spice not only help set the mood and smell great, but can be used year-round.
3. Colored light bags. Pumpkin carving is typically messy and can be difficult with precise shapes and designs. Why not light up the night with colored bags instead? One way to achieve this is to take traditional solar-powered stake lights and pierce the bottom of a colored paper bag.
4. Frame a card. While greeting cards are seldom associated with Halloween, these colorful cards make for great instant artwork to adorn a table for entertaining or a trick or treat table at the front door.
5. White pumpkins. While not as common as their orange counterparts, they look beautiful adorning a Halloween table. Spray-paint some black for a ghoulish mix.
6. Chalkboard place mats. Little chalkboards are easy to find at most craft stores and can be double as place mats. Add spooky elements like netting and write a message in chalk to both surprise and scare your guests!
7. Create easy centerpieces. Pumpkins come in all sizes, but small ones work especially well as centerpieces. Either place several in clusters on your table or spray-paint white pumpkins in different, festive colors.