Design Recipes: Making the perfect bed
Dressing your bed is a great opportunity to bring your bedroom to life. In search of sumptuousness and relaxation, it may sound basic, but so often homeowners don’t know where to begin when it comes to making an actual bed.
Building from a solid foundation is the best place to start, and that begins with your mattress selection. A mattress is not only important to touch, feel and lie on, but what materials a mattress is made of may also be important to you as well. Since mattress costs can dramatically vary in cost, be sure to ask the following questions:
1. Where is the mattress made?
2. What specific materials were used to fill the mattress?
3. What is the cover of the mattress made of?
4. How should you care for the mattress?
5. How long should the mattress last?
These days there are a host of healthy, eco-friendly options.
When you are looking to make your bed as comfortable as possible, there are some basic design ingredients that one should look to purchase.
1. Quality sheeting. Look for high thread counts and all cotton.
2. A featherbed. This is a hotel secret that creates a sumptuous bed.
3. Year-round duvet insert. You are not going to want to have multiple duvet inserts. Instead, choose one in a weight that will keep you comfortable year-round.
Dressing the bed
Dressing the bed is all about creating layers for a finished look. Here are my top tips:
1. Begin with a featherbed placed directly on top of your mattress.
2. Purchase a bottom flat sheet one size larger than your mattress. This will allow room to tuck in the extra sheeting, but still create a snug fit.
3. Place two additional flat sheets on top. You can use these like an envelope to enclose your duvet insert or a single sheet and then add a duvet cover with duvet insert in side.
4. The icing on the top: toss pillows and a throw.
Instead of having sleep pillows potentially crowd your bed, place them in a closet in the morning, dressing your bed with only decorative toss pillows.
Cathy Hobbs, based in New York City, is an Emmy Award-winning television host and a nationally known interior design and home staging expert with offices in New York City, Boston and Washington, D.C. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit her website at cathyhobbs.com.