Design Recipes: 10 ways to glitz up your space with silver and gold
When looking for ways to dress up your space, why not glam up your home the same way you would add a bit of glitz to your wardrobe? Just as in fashion, metallics such as silver, gold, bronze and even copper can be used as jewel tones for the home.
Looking for ways to blend more than one metallic finish in a single space? Here are some tips for ways to go bold with both silver and gold.
1. Consider blending different finishes through various lighting selections. For example, try a chandelier in one finish and table lamps or a floor lamp in a different finish.
2. Add portable design elements such as a mix of silver and gold toss pillows or throws.
3. Blend silver and gold through your fixtures such as handles or faucets.
4. Mix silver and gold accessories in a single space such as blending vases or accent pieces of different finishes.
5. Experiment with paint. Whether an accent wall or in the form of artwork, look for ways to blend silver and gold in an artistic statement.
6. Look for ways to build a palette from a signature or inspiration piece. These types of statement pieces can help be the springboard for your design or color story.
7. Don’t be afraid to mix and match finishes, such as pairing a polished finish with a more muted or matte one.
8. Use your metallic finishes as colors. It’s OK to blend gold with yellow and yellow-based tones and silver with gray or gray-based tones.
9. Create vignettes using a blend of various metallic elements. Design vignettes work well on surfaces such as consoles, dressers and nightstands.
10. Include metallic elements in any room where you want to add a touch of glam or glitz. From bedrooms to living rooms and dining areas, nearly any room of the home can be an opportunity to bring in glam elements.
Cathy Hobbs, based in New York City, is a nationally known interior design and home staging expert with offices in New York City, Boston and Washington, D.C. Contact her at email@example.com or visit her website at cathyhobbs.com.