News@noon: Scherzer's cool move, Cabrera flips lids
Today is (a beautiful) Friday, May 20, 2016, and the Regional Transit Authority wants to give life to a long-stalled Ann Arbor to Detroit commuter rail line that would connect the cities’ downtowns. The 38-mile line has been discussed for more than a decade but was in need of a funding source, which they say could be folded into a millage.
If the rail finally became reality, would you use it? Is it worth the money? Let us know what you think in the comments or tweet us @detroitnews.
Here's what else is making news today:
Cabrera flips lids
- Miguel Cabrera has recorded plenty of hits throughout his major league career. On Thursday night, the Detroit Tigers first baseman unveiled what he hopes will become his latest one: the “Miggy hat.” But good luck getting one.
Uber driver in court
- Jason Dalton, the Uber driver charged with killing six people in a February shooting spree, is back in court Friday for a preliminary examination. The hearing Friday comes after Dalton was found mentally competent to stand trial last month. He is being held without bond in the Kalamazoo County Jail on 16 charges, including six murder counts.
Journalism teacher under fire
A man who taught journalism at Central Michigan University has been charged with possessing child pornography, according to a federal complaint filed Thursday. Mark Ranzenberger is accused of possessing 1,000 images of child porn and is charged with possession of child pornography involving a prepubescent minor or a minor who had not attained 12 years of age.
Larkin for grand marshall
- Hockey wunderkind Dylan Larkin has been named grand marshal of the Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix. Larkin will participate in activities throughout the day on Belle Isle on June 4 and give the command, “Drivers, start your engines,” before the start of the first Chevrolet Dual in Detroit at 3:30 p.m.
Shipping container restaurant
An eatery made from a shipping container will replace the Beach Bar & Grill at Campus Martius. Fountain Detroit, set to open this month, will serve snacks, sausages, sandwiches and salads.
- Detroit City FC will open its season tonight at its new stadium. Are you ready Detroit?
- As for the Tigers, they need to start showing their stripes soon. Hopefully tonight when they open a series against Tampa Bay.
- It's the weekend and it's supposed to come with some great weather. But if you aren't planning to spend every moment outside in the sun, here are some other fun things you can do
- Catch a movie! This weekend, the sequel "Neighbors 2" premieres as well as "The Angry Birds Movie" (yes, a film based off the app). But perhaps the best movie of the weekend is Russel Crowe and Ryan Gosling's "The Nice Guys" (it was a hit with film critic Adam Graham). Also out are "The Dying of the Light" and "A Bigger Splash."
- Bryan Cranston's adaptation of the Broadway play about President Lyndon B. Johnson, "All The Way," also makes its debut on HBO this weekend, and Tom Long says it's Emmy-worthy.
- If you want to catch up on some cooking, we've got some great recipes to try: Ahi Tuna and Edamame Salad | Chicago-Style Deep-Dish Sausage and Mushroom Skillet Pizza | Roasted Chickpea, Halloumi and Farro Salad | Asparagus with Orange Vinaigrette, Goat Cheese and Hazelnuts | Marinated Pork Chops with Sweet Potato, Raisins and Pine Nuts
- 3 mayors walk into an elevator... and get stuck. This is not the setup to a joke. It really happened in Pittsburgh.
A memory for a lifetime
- Former Tiger Max Scherzer made a young Mets fan's day when he took time to play catch with him during batting practice.
Detroit News at noon is a daily roundup of the biggest stories on www.detroitnews.com. For more anytime, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter, Instagram (@detroitnews), Snapchat (Search for "Detroitnews") and LinkedIn.