News@Noon: Police probe Sanford case; Tigers troubles

The Detroit News

Today is July 5, 2016, and many Metro Detroiters are returning to work after a long holiday weekend. How was your Independence Day? Comment or tweet us at @Detroitnews.

Here is what’s happening in the news:

Davontae Sanford, right, speaks next to his mother, Taminko Sanford-Tilmon, at a press conference on June 9, a day after his release from prison.

Sanford case investigation

Nearly a month after the release of Davontae Sanford, who was wrongfully convicted of murder as a teen, Detroit Police have launched its own investigation into how detectives handled the case.

Sanford was arrested at age 14 in connection with four slaying on Runyon in 2007. After spending eight years in prison Sanford was released June 8, one day after Wayne County prosecutors filed a motion to drop the charges against him and a judge vacated his sentence. Sanford's attorneys have criticized Homicide Sgt. Michael Russell, the detective in charge of the Runyon murder investigation.

“We need to find out if there was any wrongdoing during this homicide investigation by the officers who are still on the force, and if anyone will be charged with administrative misconduct,” Police Chief James Craig said. “If there was any wrongdoing by any of our officers, I promise you: We will hold them accountable.”

Tigers lose game, starters

The Tigers not only lost to the Indians -- again -- but they lost starting pitchers Jordan Zimmermann and Daniel Norris, who both could be lost until after the All-Star break.

Stanley Johnson - He’s been up and down in his second season, after showing plenty of promise as a rookie. With some work on his jump shot, he’s struggling offensively, but his defense continues to be his strongest suit.  
GRADE: C+

What's left for Pistons' Johnson

Work on your weaknesses. That’s what Pistons wing Stanley Johnson has been mandated to do during the summer league. Pistons beat writer Rod Beard says Johnson has been working during the offseason to take shots with his left hand. Not an easy feat.

“He went to his left hand a lot and he needs to continue to do that,” said associate coach Bob Beyer. “The one thing I want to caution him about is don’t let frustration set in. There were a couple times that he got a little frustrated because as he’s working on his weaknesses, if it’s not a positive play, he gets frustrated.”

Beard reports that it's a critical summer for Johnson to not only become a more versatile offensive weapon, but also to smooth out some of the rough edges in his form such as footwork, release point on his shots and passing with both hands.

Fourth of July shooting

A 2-year-old girl was hospitalized in critical condition Tuesday after she was shot during an early morning gathering on Detroit’s east side, police said.

The shooting took place at about 1:05 a.m. when someone in the crowd opened fire in the parking lot of the Detroit Public Library Chandler Park branch, in the 12800 block of Harper. Police continue to investigate.

Eric Haan, of Frankfort, is seen outside a courthouse last month in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico. He said his wife took their sons while the family was vacationing in the area in 2013.

Looking for his children

A Michigan man whose estranged wife took their children during a family vacation in Mexico and left, has been given some hope. A Benzie County Circuit Court has asked the FBI help Eric Haan, of Frankfort, located his children.

“It’s a very difficult time,” Hann told News reporter Charles E. Ramirez. “I don’t even know what my sons look like anymore. It’s just very hard not being there for them, not sharing those special days.”

Haan’s nightmare began Jan. 14, 2013, when his wife, Karla Montemayor, abducted their two sons Pablo, 6, and Joshua, 4, while the family visited her parents in Puerto Aventuras, Mexico, near Playa Del Carmen.

More I-275 work

Motorists on northbound Interstate 275 should prepare for longer commute times now that the Michigan Department of Transportation has closed a stretch of freeway Tuesday until mid-September for road repairs.

The closure which started at 10 a.m. affects northbound I-275 from Five Mile to the I-96/I-696/M-5 interchange. It’s part of a $75 million road repair project.

Detroit News at noon is a daily news roundup of the biggest stories on www.detroitnews.com. Get more anytime by liking us on Facebook and following us on Twitter. We're also on Instagram (@detroitnews) and Snapchat (Search for "Detroitnews").