News@noon: Tigers slighted, West Nile returns, Eid
Today is Wednesday, July 6, 2016, and we start with the Tigers. With a payroll of nearly $200 million and World Series aspirations, the team hasn't come close to living up to its expectations. On Tuesday, the rest of Major League Baseball and its fans also sent the roller-coaster Tigers a resounding message — naming only first baseman Miguel Cabrera to the American League All-Star team.
The Tigers, though could have another representative after second baseman Ian Kinsler was named to the Final Vote against Dustin Pedroia (Red Sox), Evan Longoria (Rays), Michael Saunders (Blue Jays), and George Springer (Astros). If you want Kinsler in, you'll need to vote on MLB.com.
Should the Tigers have had more players on the All-Star team? Or do you think they are getting what they deserve? Let us know in the comments or by tweeting us @detroitnews.
Here's what else is making news today:
- Macomb County assistant prosecutor Suzanna Shkreli of Clarkston will be introduced Wednesday as the Democratic replacement candidate for actress Melissa Gilbert, who abruptly ended her campaign in late May citing debilitating health problems stemming from years-old neck and head injuries. Shkreli, 29, is a politically unknown first-time candidate who prosecuted cases of physical and sexual abuse against children for the past six years.
- The daughter of a state legislator who died last month is among 11 Democrats seeking to take her place on the Aug. 2 primary ballot in Michigan’s 11th House District. Lauren Plawecki, 22, filed a letter of intent Tuesday afternoon to run for the seat vacated by the late Rep. Julie Plawecki, D-Dearborn Heights, who died after a heart attack during a hiking trip in Oregon. Democratic precinct delegates will meet Thursday to select a primary candidate.
West Nile virus is back
- Oakland County health officials found this summer’s first evidence of West Nile virus in a mosquito test pool, nearly a month earlier than last year. The positive test result was detected Friday, compared with July 31 in 2015. No human cases have been detected yet.
Edsel Ford II and domestic violence
- Five weeks after their divorce proceeding was dismissed, Edsel Ford II spent a night in jail Monday after a domestic violence incident with his wife, Cynthia. The 67-year-old great-grandson of Henry Ford was not criminally charged Tuesday, after the city prosecutor decided there was insufficient evidence to prosecute and Cynthia Ford chose not to pursue charges.
Tunneling to Canada
- Construction scheduled for this summer in the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel has been delayed until next year, according to officials.The mile-long tunnel initially was slated to close during off-peak hours beginning in August to allow crews to replace concrete ceiling slabs as well as to perform electrical, communications, lighting and masonry work.
- One of the city’s largest demolition contractors confirmed Tuesday it has complied with a subpoena from federal inspectors seeking documents related to the firm’s contract with Detroit’s Land Bank Authority for federally funded demolition.
- As the month of fasting and reflection ends for our area's Muslim residents, we would like to wish them a joyous Eid al-Fitr.
Something cute to end with
- An affectionate elk paid some Washington state firefighters a visit over the holiday weekend as they worked to tame a wildfire. The result: adorable.
Detroit News at noon is a daily roundup of the most talked-about stories on detroitnews.com. For more anytime, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter, Instagram (@detroitnews), Snapchat (Search for "Detroitnews") and LinkedIn.
Don't forget to enter the Celebrate Michigan photo contest by sending us your best photos from around the state. We pick four finalists every Wednesday (here's this week's). Winners will get some pretty great prizes (including a first-place prize of a two-night stay for two at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island). If you need some more inspiration, here are last year's winners and finalists.
Finally, if you're a talented gardener, we want to reward you with the 2016 Homestyle Garden Photo Contest. Send in your photos here and you could win a $100 gift certificate to English Gardens.