News@noon: Ready for Woodward, Lions roaring back
Today is Thursday, Aug. 18, 2016, and we're taking a drive down memory lane, looking back at the notable years of Chevrolet's Camaro for its 50th anniversary.
You'll see plenty of them and many other classic beauties cruising down Woodward for the next few days, culminating Saturday in the Woodward Dream Cruise. And plenty of weirdness. Did you know that, technically, a car with a plate of 1990 or older qualifies as a "classic?" Check these new classics out and let us know if you agree with this classification?
If you plan to attend Saturday, be sure to keep your eyes out for our Detroit News Dream Team. We'll be cruising around in a Mustang Shelby GT350, a Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat and a Camaro 50th Anniversary Edition (you'll know it's us by The Detroit News stickers on the side). Be sure to say hello.
Here's what else is happening today:
A new kind of housing
- Emerging now on an empty Detroit lot is a taste of a unique housing project designed by a Los Angeles architect with world-class credentials and financed by a New York City developer and entrepreneur. A village of Quonset huts — half-moon shaped structures whose walls and roof are made of corrugated steel — will be designed by architect Edwin Chan for people to live in.
- Speaking of new housing options in Detroit, apartments, town homes and retail space should be finished on the corner of Michigan and Trumbull in Detroit by spring 2018 if federal tax credits are approved. It's part of the plans for rehabbing the old Tiger Stadium site.
A confrontation with police
- A 23-year-old man is in police custody after allegedly making a bomb threat at a precinct on Detroit’s west side Wednesday evening, police said.
- If you haven't already seen his face on your social media channels, you will: The image of the stunned and weary looking Syrian boy, sitting inside an ambulance covered in dust and with blood on his face after being pulled from the rubble of an airstrike. It encapsulates the horrors inflicted on the war-ravaged city of Aleppo.
Lions roaring back
- The Detroit Lions take on the Cincinnati Bengals at 7:30 tonight in an exhibition game at Ford Field. Here are five things to watch for when they take the field.
Celebrate the beauty of Michigan
- Don't forget to enter the Celebrate Michigan photo contest by sending us your best photos from around the state. We pick four finalists every Wednesday (here's this week's). Winners will get some pretty great prizes (including a first-place prize of a two-night stay for two at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island). If you need more inspiration, here are last year's winners and finalists.
- Finally, if you're a talented gardener, we want to reward you with the 2016 Homestyle Garden Photo Contest. Send in your photos here and you could win a $100 gift certificate to English Gardens.
Detroit News at noon is a daily roundup of the most talked-about stories on detroitnews.com. For more anytime, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter, Instagram (@detroitnews), Snapchat (Search for "Detroitnews") and LinkedIn.