News@noon: A Detroit blaze and a candidates roast
Today is Friday, Oct. 21, 2016, and the good news is that the weekend is here!
The bad news is that a fire destroyed a Detroit mattress store this morning. Holly Fournier reports that the blaze ignited around 7 a.m. inside the Mattress Wholesale store at 4242 Eight Mile near Ryan. The fire caused the store's roof to collapse and forced evacuations from nearby homes, officials say.
Here's what else is making headlines today:
Trouble for Rizzo
- An FBI probe into Rizzo Environmental Services has put some of the company's trash hauling contracts in jeopardy.
- Huron Township officials rescinded their decision to award a contract to Rizzo.
- Dearborn Heights is expected to vote on a $24 million contract for the company next week, but some city council members are having second thoughts.
- Richmond Township board members were apprehensive but decided Wednesday to accept a trash hauling bid from Rizzo.
Drug price hike upsets leaders
- The cost of the lead poisoning drug calcium disodium versenate increased by roughly 2,700 percent since 2013.
- It’s among a number of price hikes for drugs most often needed in low-income communities where problems such as lead poisoning and asthma are prevalent.
- While the drug hasn’t been needed in Flint because it’s not made for the kind of lead poisoning suffered there, its price still struck a nerve.
Hepatitis A at Whole Foods
- Two cases of Hepatitis A have been linked to the prepared foods section at Whole Foods Market in Detroit.
- The health department recommends anyone who may have consumed prepared foods at the store between Oct. 6-12 to speak with a physician for preventative treatment.
Michigan State media day
- Matt Charboneau reports from the MSU basketball media day on Thursday where the team introduced its new freshman talent.
- The four stars — Miles Bridges, Joshua Langford, Cassius Winston and Nick Ward — each ranked in the top 50 in the nation.
Trump and Clinton roast
- Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton roasted each other, at times brutally, during the annual Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation Dinner in New York on Thursday.
- Trump said “listening to Hillary rattle on and rattle on” has made him better appreciate his longtime nemesis Rosie O’Donnell. While Clinton joked that “Donald looks at the Statue of Liberty and sees a ‘4.' “Maybe a ‘5’ if she loses the torch and tablet and changes her hair.”
Detroit News at noon is a daily roundup of the most talked-about stories on detroitnews.com. For more anytime, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter, Instagram (@detroitnews), Snapchat (Search for "Detroitnews") and LinkedIn.