Cedar Point: New ride, more jobs, higher prices
When Cedar Point reopens on May 5, the park will roll out a new roller coaster, higher ticket prices and more seasonal workers.
The amusement park, located in Sandusky, said ticket prices would be $72 for the 2018 season — a $5 hike from last year. However, bargain-hunters can buy a one-day ticket for $45 online.
Ride warriors will find a new coaster. In August, the park announced its FrontierTown will add Steel Vengeance, billed as the tallest, fastest and longest hybrid roller coaster. The hybrid design will combine a "massive wooden structure" with a steel running track "enabling the coaster’s trains to perform maneuvers previously unheard of on a wooden roller coaster."
Steel Vengeance will be more than 200 feet tall and the ride will last 2 1/2 minutes. Riders will board one of three trains and climb 205 feet above FrontierTown. Once they crest the lift hill, they’ll be staring straight down a 90-degree initial drop.
Before the opening of its 149th season, Cedar Point officials announced that the park is seeking more than 5,000 employees.
Wages for summer positions and internships range from $9.25 to $12.50 an hour. Positions include ride operations, food, guest services, accommodations, games, merchandise, security and maintenance. Potential hires are asked to attend a job fair at Castaway Bay in Sandusky on March 22 or April 8 and apply online at cedarpoint.com/jobs.
Those selected will receive perks such as:
- Free access to Cedar Point and Cedar Point Shores Waterpark all summer
- Free tickets for family and friends throughout the summer
- Free access to Cedar Fair parks across the country
- Discounts on merchandise and food
- Bus trips to regional destinations like Kings Island, Chicago and Niagara Falls
- Exclusive ride nights, which offers a chance to use the park’s biggest rides after hours