Olivet College: No more reports of illnesses

Associated Press

Olivet — Olivet College says it’s had no more reports of illnesses after dozens of students reported being sickened last week with symptoms that included headaches, dizziness and nausea.

The Lansing State Journal reported the update from Maria Davis, provost and dean at the college. School officials last Thursday reopened the Blair Hall men’s dormitory where most of the 55 affected students live. Reports of illnesses began with one student on Sept. 9.

Emergency crews responded and symptoms appeared to be consistent with carbon monoxide exposure. The school says Blair Hall was tested, however, and authorities didn’t find elevated levels of the gas. Officials say carbon monoxide poisoning isn’t to blame.

Students were evaluated at hospitals as a precaution. Barry-Eaton Health Department Medical Director Robert Schirmer says the investigation is closed.