MRSA case reported at Novi High
Classes resumed at Novi High School Tuesday a day after a case of MRSA was reported to school officials.
The infected individual was not a student or faculty member, officials said.
The district was alerted of a MRSA case linked to the school Monday afternoon, said Novi Community School District Superintendent Steve Matthews. He declined to say the person’s role with the school.
“There are key areas the person had been in, limited parts of the building,” Matthews said. “We believe we have addressed the issue thoroughly.”
MRSA, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, is a bacterial staph infection that can spread from skin-to-skin contact or from personal items.
The district alerted parents Monday evening as the custodial crew worked to disinfect the school.
“Things seem to be going well,” Matthews said. “We’ve had very few calls into the main office. I know parents are concerned because MRSA is one of the issue that raises the concern of parents. We believe we have thoroughly disinfected the building. There should be no concerned for parents on the safety of the building.”