SUBSCRIBE NOW
99¢ per month for 3 months
SUBSCRIBE NOW
99¢ per month for 3 months

Detroit firefighters put out blaze east of Midtown

Holly Fournier
The Detroit News

Detroit — Firefighters were able to put out an accidental fire Wednesday morning near the roof of a partially vacant commercial building east of Midtown.

At least four trucks responded around 9:45 a.m. to the building at Russell and Kirby, Chief Dan Watson said.

"The owner of the building had some contractors in here because they were cleaning out the building," said Chief Dan Watson. "They had acetylene torches, cutting something up inside."

Watson said the fire appeared to be accidental, caused by the torches. There were no injuries.

"Everybody made it out," Watson said.

The building is partially vacant, Watson said. The owner told firefighters he is in the process of renovating the portion that caught fire. The building's windows are boarded up and "Detroit Meat Warehouse" is printed on one side in faded paint.

HFournier@detroitnews.com

(313) 223-4616