Boy, 3, killed in crash on Detroit’s west side

Tom Greenwood and Holly Fournier
The Detroit News

Detroit — A 3-year-old boy died and two other children and an adult were hurt in an early morning crash on the city’s west side.

The crash occurred around 8:20 a.m. Tuesday on Fenmore near Verne, in an area just east of the Southfield Freeway.

“The vehicle, a 2003 Ford Escape, was heading southbound. We’re not sure what happened, there’s conflicting stories, but he hit a tree,” Officer Nicole Kirkwood said at the scene.

There were three young children riding in the backseat of the vehicle, Kirkwood said. A 3-year-old boy, improperly fastened into a car seat, was killed.

Two young girls, ages 6 and 9, were privately conveyed to Sinai-Grace Hospital where they were stabilized before being transferred to Children's Hospital.

“The two kids are doing better,” Officer Dan Robinson said shortly after noon Tuesday.

The 34-year-old driver, who is believed to be the father of the boy, also was privately conveyed to a local hospital, Kirkwood said.

“I don’t believe his injuries were serious like the others," Kirkwood said.

Kirkwood said it is unknown if the driver also is father of the girls who were injured. It also is unknown whether he lives in the area.

It is too early in the investigation to determine if charges will be filed against the driver, Robinson said.

“The investigators are still trying to put everything together so we don’t really have much else,” he said.

According to police at the scene, a nurse who lives in the area pulled the man and the three children from the smoking vehicle shortly after the crash. She attempted CPR on the boy before deciding to transport everyone to the hospital.

The woman sat in an officer's car for close to an hour before leaving the scene on foot. She declined to comment.

A woman who identified herself as a cousin of the children’s mother arrived at the scene around 11 a.m.

“They’re good kids,” she said, declining to further identify herself. “Just pray for our family.”

Police remained on scene late Tuesday morning investigating the crash. One officer deployed a lit-up drone that hovered over the crashed vehicle for several minutes.