SUBSCRIBE NOW
99¢ per month for 3 months
SUBSCRIBE NOW
99¢ per month for 3 months

Third suspect in Detroit alley gang rapes arraigned

George Hunter
The Detroit News

Detroit — A third member of a gang that this month allegedly raped a woman and forced her male companion to watch was arraigned Tuesday and charged with multiple counts of criminal sexual assault.

Chico Bruce, 22, turned himself in to authorities Monday after police released his name and photo and said he was wanted in connection with the July 16 rape, in which investigators say up to six men forced a 21-year-old woman and her 22-year-old male companion into an alley at gunpoint and raped the woman.

Police on Monday announced they’d arrested two other alleged members of the group, and court records suggest a fourth suspect is in custody, although police and prosecutors would not discuss the ongoing case.

Antoine Edward-Ikie Orr, 18, was arrested Thursday at his home in the 13500 block of Woodmont on the city’s northwest side. A second suspect, Jordon Reese, 17, was arrested later that day near Seven Mile and Joann, police said.

Both men were arraigned Friday on 13 counts of first-degree sexual assault as well as armed robbery and kidnapping charges. They are being held on $250,000 cash bonds.

Bruce also was charged with 13 counts of first-degree sexual assault, along with armed robbery and kidnapping, although Detroit Police Sgt. Cassandra Lewis said his bond was set at $1 million.

The three men have only been charged in one attack, although less than two hours after the first July 16 rape, there was another assault with similar circumstances.

Police say the gang first struck at about 10 p.m. on July 16 in the 10300 block of McNichols. A 21-year-old female and a 22-year-old male were walking in the area when they were approached by six men. One pointed a gun at the victims and forced them into a nearby alley.

In the second attack, two men approached a 19-year-old female and 21-year-old male and at gunpoint ordered them into a nearby alley, where they raped the woman while the man was forced to watch. Their clothing was taken, Fitzgerald said.

A third similar incident, on July 11, also may be connected to the same group, police said.

Orr, Reese and Bruce were charged with the first July 16 attack, investigators said.

Although those are the only three men who have been charged so far, the Wayne Circuit Court website has four co-defendants listed. The final suspect’s name is not provided.

Neither Lewis nor Assistant Wayne County Prosecutor Maria Miller would comment, citing the open investigation.