Reports show Kellom shot 4 times, had pot in system

George Hunter
The Detroit News

Detroit — After months of withholding Terrance Kellom’s autopsy results from the public, county officials on Thursday released the report that shows the robbery suspect was shot four times by a federal agent during an April raid.

Kellom was killed April 27 after officers from the Detroit Fugitive Apprehension Team multijurisdictional task force raided Kellom’s home on Evergreen on the city’s northwest side.

Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy on Wednesday said the federal agent who killed Kellom, Mitchell Quinn, will not face criminal charges. She said evidence supports his story that the shooting was justified.

Karri Mitchell, attorney for the Kellom family, said Thursday he plans to file a civil lawsuit next week.

Worthy earlier sealed Kellom’s autopsy results because she said releasing the findings would interfere with her investigation.

The examination, performed by Dr. Lokman Sung, assistant Wayne County medical examiner, the day after the shooting, found Kellom was shot four times, in the neck, left shoulder, lower back and right thigh.

“There was no evidence of close range of fire noted on the skin surrounding any of the wounds,” Sung wrote in his six-page report.

In addition to the four gunshot wounds, Sung noted other injuries, including abrasions on the shoulder, arm, hands, legs and fingers.

Kellom had marijuana in his system, according to a toxicology report also made available Thursday.

Kellom’s shooting caused outrage in his northwest-side community, prompting Detroit Police Chief James Craig to set up a town hall meetin to meet with the community.

Worthy said the evidence contradicted accounts of the incident given by Kellom’s father, Kevin Kellom, who said his son was shot while prone. Worthy said the evidence shows he was advancing on the officer.

“The blood spatter patterns confirm that Terrance Kellom continued to advance despite being shot already,” Worthy said.

Quinn’s attorney, David Griem, said Thursday his client feels exonerated by Worthy’s findings, but isn’t happy.

“Bittersweet is a great way to describe it,” Griem said. “It’s a feeling not of joy but of relief. This cloud that’s been following him, his wife and three children for over 100 days has dissipated, and that’s good. But there’s some sadness over the fact that different groups which sprung to aid the Kellom family made their minds up without ever hearing or seeing the evidence.”

According to Worthy, Kellom then began hitting the attic floor with a hammer, creating a hole that he crawled through, dropping into the first-floor bedroom closet. He was shot after he left the bedroom and rushed toward Quinn with a hammer raised in his right hand, Worthy said.

But Mitchell said Thursday the story doesn’t hold water.

“That’s why I invited the media into the house to see that hole, so they could see there’s no way someone could fit through that,” Mitchell said.

Ron Scott, president of the Detroit Coalition Against Police Brutality, issued a scathing statement Thursday, saying Worthy treated Kellom’s family “to nothing but venomous ISIL-level vilification.”

“Instead of a prosecutor with a case she must prove, she is acting instead as Lord Inquisitor,” Scott said. “After 113 days, are we to assume that every law enforcement officer involved in this incident is telling the truth? We would like to see how their current statements compare with the initial statements they made in April.

“In fact, are we to simply take everything that the prosecutor has said as gospel? Or are we to follow the rule of law and allow for the truth to be presented objectively prior to making the pronouncements she is making?”

Detroit News reporter Holly Fournier contributed.