Court hearing date set for accused MotorCity carjacker

Oralandar Brand-Williams

The Redford Township man accused of carjacking two elderly sisters at MotorCity Casino earlier this month appeared before a judge Monday after initially choosing not to.

Wayne Darrell Jones, 49, had wanted to waive his presence — which is his right — at the brief probable cause conference before 36th District Judge Ronald Giles, but he was brought out by court deputies anyway to attend the hearing.

He is being jailed on a $100,000 cash/surety bond.

Jones’ family members who attended the hearing refused to comment on the case and the allegations against him. His attorney, Nancy Schell, also refused to answer questions.

He is charged with two counts each of carjacking, armed robbery, unlawful imprisonment and felony firearm. His next court hearing, a preliminary examination, is scheduled for Oct. 5 in Wayne Circuit Court.

Police said Jones’ actions the early morning of Sept. 17 morning were brought on by desperation caused by a gambling problem and financial problems. They said even though he had a $100,000 income he was heavily in debt.

Jones, who has no criminal record, is accused of carjacking the two women, a 68-year-old Sterling Heights woman and a 78-year-old Clinton Township woman, as they were leaving the MotorCity Casino around 5:30 a.m.

Authorities say Jones got into the car with the women and pulled out a handgun, demanded money and took their purses. One woman gave Jones $5 while the other handed over $26, according to Detroit Police Department reports obtained by The Detroit News.

Police say he then ordered the 68-year-old woman to drive the PT Cruiser. When they reached a field near Schoolcraft and Appoline, Jones allegedly ordered the women out of the car and drove away with it.

The women walked about two miles until they came upon someone who helped them find the Second Police Precinct.

Jones was arrested two days later.

(313) 222-2027

Detroit News Staff Writer George Hunter contributed.