LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Detroit — A pedestrian bridge torn down last year by a waste hauling truck on the Southfield Freeway has reopened after a $2.9 million rebuild, according to the Michigan Department of Transportation.

The Cathedral Avenue bridge repair was covered by federal government emergency funds, MDOT officials said Wednesday. The new bridge features aesthetic improvements, including decorative crosswalks and pedestrian lights. The bridge also meets all Americans with Disabilities Act requirements.

Work continues on final details of the project and removing equipment, officials said. Ramps to and from Joy Road are expected to remain closed until the end of the month, while Southfield Freeway service drives north of Joy Road will have one lane open in each direction for the next couple of weeks.

In addition, electronic freeway message signs on the northbound lanes at Fitzpatrick Avenue and southbound at Chicago Road will remain inoperable for the next few weeks, as will a camera at Cathedral Street.

The pedestrian bridge collapsed in September 2014 across both lanes of the freeway after it was struck by the boom of a truck driven by Stanford Michael Doll, officials said at the time.

According to witnesses, Doll staggered from the cab of the truck and collapsed on the shoulder of the roadway. He was transported to Sinai-Grace Hospital where he died.

No one else was injured.

According to the Michigan Secretary of State's Office, Doll had a valid commercial driver's license and no violations on his driving record. He would have lived if he had been wearing a seat belt, according to police.

HFournier@detroitnews.com

(313) 223-4616

@HollyPFournier

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://detne.ws/1O2SLBz