Sentencing delayed for man in French street artist death
Detroit — Sentencing for the trigger man in the killing of a French street artist was delayed Thursday since he was mistakenly sent back into the Michigan Department of Corrections prison system after his conviction earlier this month.
Dionte Travis, 21, is expected to receive a new sentencing date for early January. He was scheduled for sentencing Thursday before Wayne Circuit Judge Bruce Morrow.
Travis is the third of three adults convicted in the July 2013 slaying of Bilal Berreni, who was targeted by four males looking to “hit a lick,” slang for robbing someone, and “murk” (murder) someone after losing money in a dice game with about 11 other people, prosecutors said earlier this week.
Travis is believed to be the one who shot Berreni, according to prosecutors.
A fourth defendant, a 15-year-old teen, was found guilty Wednesday and also will be sentenced in January. His name is not being released due to his age.
Other adult defendants convicted in the case are Drequone Rich, 21, and Jasin Curtis, 19.
Rich is serving 23-40 years after pleading guilty in September to being the lookout man in the Berreni killing. Curtis will be behind bars for 25-40 years after pleading guilty to second-degree murder.
Berreni, 23, of Paris was found dead on a sidewalk of the now demolished Brewster Douglass housing projects. Berreni, who had no identification on him at the time he was discovered by a construction crew, was not identified until March 2014. He was ID’d through fingerprints.
Prosecutors have said the killers saw Berreni in an area of basketball courts at the housing projects and decided to rob him. They took his money, which he had hidden inside his shoes, his wallet and Bridge card.
They stole about $300, and the teen used his share — $50 — to buy marijuana and potato chips, according to the prosecution.