Casino carjacker pleads guilty in theft from sisters

Oralandar Brand-Williams
The Detroit News

A Redford man charged with carjacking two elderly suburban sisters at a Detroit casino last year has pleaded guilty.

Wayne Jones, a 49-year-old former steelworker who earned a six-figure salary, will find out his fate Jan. 19 when he is sentenced. He pleaded guilty Monday before Wayne County Circuit Judge Mark Slavens to one count of carjacking, two counts of unlawful imprisonment and felony firearm.

As a result, Jones agreed to serve a two-year mandatory prison term on the felony firearm charge followed by 11-20 years on the other charges.

Kim Michon of Legal Aid & Defenders, who was listed in court records as Jones’ attorney, could not be reached for comment.

Police say Jones was desperate for money, in debt and facing foreclosure, when he “lost everything” at MotorCity Casino before he carjacked the two women at gunpoint around 5:30 a.m. Sept. 17 on the top floor of the casino’s parking deck. He demanded the 78-year-old from Clinton Township and the 68-year-old from Sterling Heights give him their money and car.

One of the women said Jones shoved and kicked her and she sustained minor injuries as a result.

Jones, who had no criminal record, ordered the 68-year-old woman to drive to the city’s west side, where he dumped them in a dark, desolate area near Schoolcraft and Appoline. He drove away with one of the women’s red 2010 Chrysler PT Cruiser as well as their belongings, including cellphones and purses that held $31 cash, charge cards, driver’s licenses, checkbooks, house keys and other items.

A good Samaritan walked the women to the city’s Second police precinct on Lesure near Schoolcraft and Grand River where they told police what happened.

The PT Cruiser was located and recovered near the casino.

bwilliams@detroitnews.com

(313) 222-2027