Last of adult suspects sentenced in French artist death
Detroit — The trigger man in the killing of a French street artist was sentenced Thursday to 30 to 60 years in prison following his conviction last month.
Dionte Travis, 21, is the third of three adults convicted in the July 2013 slaying of Bilal Berreni, 23, who was targeted by four males looking to “hit a lick,” slang for robbing someone, and “murk” (murder) someone after losing money in a dice game with about 11 other people, prosecutors said.
Travis is believed to be the one who shot Berreni, according to prosecutors. Travis was sentenced Thursday by Wayne Circuit Court Judge Bruce Morrow.
A fourth defendant, a 15-year-old teen, was found guilty last month and also will be sentenced in January. His name is not being released due to his age.
Other adult defendants convicted in the case are Drequone Rich, 21, and Jasin Curtis, 19.
Rich is serving 23-40 years after pleading guilty in September to being the lookout man in the Berreni killing. Curtis will be behind bars for 25-40 years after pleading guilty to second-degree murder.
Berreni of Paris was found dead on a sidewalk of the now demolished Brewster Douglass housing projects. Berreni, who had no identification on him at the time he was discovered by a construction crew, was not identified until March 2014. He was ID’d through fingerprints.
Prosecutors have said the killers saw Berreni near basketball courts at the housing projects and decided to rob him. They took his money, which he had hidden inside his shoes, his wallet and Bridge card.
They stole about $300, and the teen used his share — $50 — to buy marijuana and potato chips, according to the prosecution.