Detroit man suspected in sex crimes charged in one case

The Detroit News

An 19-year-old suspected in at least three sexual assaults was charged in one of them on Sunday.

Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy charged Darian Winfield, 19, of Detroit, in connection with a sexual assault of a Detroit woman on Dec. 30, 2015. Winfield allegedly broke into a house in the 5800 block of Radnor and stabbed a 39-year-old Detroit woman with a knife in the chest with the intent of sexually assaulting her, according to a statement released Sunday by the prosecutor’s office.

Authorities alleged he fled from the house on foot. The woman called for help and was taken to a hospital for treatment.

Winfield is charged with home invasion first degree, assault with intent to murder and Assault with intent to commit criminal sexual conduct. He is expected to be arraigned in 34th District Court on Sunday.

Police said Winfield is also suspected in two other sexual assaults. The first attempted rape occurred Dec. 18 in the 5000 block of Haverhill. The most recent known attack occurred early Dec. 31 in the 5300 block of Radnor.

Mom says Detroit cops wrong to arrest son in sex crimes

Anita Pace, Winfield’s mother, has questioned her son’s involvement in the assaults, saying he does not match the description of the suspect police distributed last week and investigators failed to find evidence at her home or his apartment positively linking him to the crimes.

Unlike the suspect, she said, Winfield “doesn’t have any piercings — not one,” is heavier and taller — with a height of about 6 feet 3 inches — and has a noticeably lighter complexion.

Winfield attends East English Village Preparatory Academy and works as a packer in Macomb County, Pace said. He also volunteers at a soup kitchen, goes to church and has a girlfriend, leaving little time for much else, she said. “He was doing what he needed to do for himself. He’s not a bad guy at all.”

Police said Winfield has a history of violence. He was given probation for a previous conviction of assault with intent to do great bodily harm in an incident last year involving a 17-year-old girl, Craig said. That incident was not sexual in nature.