2nd arrest in fatal shooting of mom waiting for son

Candice Williams
The Detroit News

A second suspect has been arrested in connection with the death of a mother fatally shot as she waited to pick her son up from basketball practice.

According to a Detroit Police Department Facebook page and police interviews, Rayvon Smith, 18, of Detroit was arrested for his alleged involvement in the Wednesday carjacking death of 43-year-old Erica Garner.

Police on Friday said Smith was with suspect Ralph Anthony Marshall, 17, at the time of the carjacking. Marshall was arraigned Thursday on charges of felony murder, carjacking and felony firearm.

“After two days of relentless investigation, the Detroit Police Department has made a second arrest in the fatal shooting” at 6:35 p.m. Wednesday at East Eight Mile Road and Sunset, the department wrote on Facebook.

“The Homicide Section will continue to conduct further investigation into the fatal shooting incident, regarding defendant Smith’s role and association with defendant Marshall,” theFacebook post said Friday.

Detroit police Officer Nicole Kirkwood said police were working on a warrant package Friday for Smith.

Garner was shot in the head. Prosecutors allege Marshall approached her with a gun and attempted to steal her car as she waited for her 11-year-old son.

In an unrelated incident, Smith was arraigned Friday and Marshall was arraigned Thursday in connection with a non-fatal carjacking Saturday in the 14400 block of Edmore. The two allegedly carjacked 21-year-old Detroit man at gunpoint.

The two men attacked the victim when he attempted to defend himself, according to the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office.

“The two defendants fled from the scene in the victim’s car,” the prosecutor wrote in a statement. “The victim was able get help by two men who conveyed him to a local hospital for treatment.”

Smith and Marshall each were charged with carjacking, armed robbery, assault with intent to murder, receiving and concealing stolen property – motor vehicle and felony firearm. Smith was also charged with carrying a concealed weapon.