LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Two suspects who were arrested last weekend in connection with the shooting death of a 6-month-old girl were released Monday, Detroit Police officials confirmed.

Police said they did not have enough evidence to continue to hold them but are diligently searching for those involved in the drive-by shooting on Saturday.

“It was determined that they were not involved in the incident, and we had to let them go,” said Officer Nicole Kirkwood, a spokeswoman for the Detroit Police Department. “Our focus is still on finding the suspects in this horrible crime.”

The infant’s death was officially ruled a homicide Monday by the Wayne County Medical Examiner’s Office.

The slaying happened on Winthrop near Clarita in the Seven Mile and Greenfield area on the city’s west side. Before the two suspects had been released, homicide detectives had been searching for a third suspect.

The infant was shot while a 24-year-old man was playing in the front lawn of a home in the 18000 block of Winthrop with three children, among them the 6-month-old who was killed.

Police officials have said they believe there is a connection to the Easter Sunday shooting on the city’s west side but have not elaborated. Anaiya Denise Montgomery, 3, was killed in the 2 a.m. incident after three men went into a home on the 16800 block of Riverview near West McNichols and Telegraph and fired shots.

lfleming@detroitnews.com

(313) 222-2620

Twitter:@leonardnfleming

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://detne.ws/1SqclIO