Feds fight to keep Kilpatrick pal Bobby Ferguson in prison

3rd man faces charges in musician’s Christmas Eve death

Holly Fournier
The Detroit News

A third man was arraigned Monday on murder charges in the Christmas Eve slaying of musician Anthony Tolson on the city’s east side.

Inkster resident Devan Williams, 27, was charged with first-degree, premeditated murder, felony murder, carjacking, armed robbery, possession by a felon, and felony firearm, according to court records.

He was remanded to Wayne County Jail without bond, Detroit Police Officer Jennifer Moreno said.

Tolson, 33, was fatally shot around 9:30 p.m. Dec. 24 in the Gratiot and Fairmont Liquor store parking lot on the east side. In chilling surveillance footage, two suspects could be seen driving away in the victim’s Chevy TrailBlazer.

Those two suspects previously were identified by investigators as Darnell Young, 18, and Charles Cox, 35, who both currently on are trial facing first-degree murder and carjacking charges.

Williams was the last suspect sought in the case, Moreno said. She declined to detail how he was allegedly connected to the shooting or how investigators tracked him down.

“That is part of the investigation, part of the evidence that will come out in court,” she said.

Tolson was gunned down after playing bass guitar at a Central Baptist Church holiday service, officials have said. Inside his stolen vehicle sat three video games and a Batman toy, gifts to his three children: Amber, 13, Aaron, 12, and William, 7.

He was killed over tire rims, which the suspects hoped to sell for $1,200, according to statements that Young reportedly made to police.

Both suspects sat for preliminary examination hearings in late January and early February, where Cox’s girlfriend testified the man confessed to the crime. He allegedly stole her Smith & Wesson .40-caliber handgun used to shoot Tolson, she said.

The bombshell came after a wild first day of the preliminary examination, during which Young was caught on television footage mouthing words to his relative, Kierra Strickland, while the 19-year-old woman testified on the witness stand.

The cameraman informed the judge, who admonished Young for trying to intimidate the witness. During the hearing’s second day, the defendant was ordered to face the wall while Strickland testified.


(313) 223-4616