University of Michigan graduate students go on illegal strike with rally

Detroit plant worker exposed to hydrogen sulfide

Mark Hicks
The Detroit News

A plant worker was rushed to the hospital on Tuesday evening after being exposed to hydrogen sulfide gas, Detroit fire officials said.

The man had been performing a routine chore at the US Ecology facility on Frederick when he came into contact with the gas about 6 p.m., said Robert Distelrath, the senior chief on duty at the Detroit Fire Department.

Department hazmat personnel and medics responded; the employee was rushed to Detroit Receiving Hospital, Distelrath said. His condition was unknown Tuesday night.

Other staffers did not report injuries, fire authorities said.

Company representatives did not immediately respond to a request for comment late Tuesday.

US Ecology Inc. “is a leading North American provider of environmental services to commercial and government entities,” according to its website, which described the Detroit facility as treating hazardous and non-hazardous liquids, solids, sludges and debris.

Exposure to high concentrations of hydrogen sulfide gas “can quickly lead to death,” according to the United States Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety & Health Administration.