Detroit — A Detroit man was charged Saturday in the killing of Gracie Hughes, whose body was found this week in the two-story home her parents once owned and she vowed not to leave.

Torius Inge, 46, was charged with open murder and third degree arson by Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy. According to police and Worthy, firefighters went to the home in the 5070 block of Parker on Thursday and discovered Hughes’ body after they extinguished the fire that had been set.

Hughes’ body had been burned and there was trauma to her head and multiple stab wounds to her body, the prosecutor said Saturday.

The Detroit Police Department’s investigation identified Inge as the suspect and a warrant request was submitted Saturday.

Inge was arraigned and remanded to jail in 34th District Court in Romulus. A probable cause hearing and preliminary examination have not been scheduled.

On Friday night, less than 48 hours after Hughes’ body was found, friends and family gathered outside the house to honor her life. Hundreds flocked to the deteriorating house on the 5000 block of Parker for a vigil.

In the hours after Hughes’ death, family and friends gathered on Parker Street and shared theories on who her killer might be.

One name emerged immediately: "T." Hughes' supporters were adamant in their belief that if surveillance footage was pulled from a store at E. Forest and Maxwell that Hughes frequented, investigators would see the two of them together.

Virginia Hughes, a niece, speaking on behalf of the family, on Saturday evening credited the community for Inge's arrest.

"(Inge being caught) is because of the good community we have," Hughes said. "Everybody was on top of it. This is why people who know something need to start talking to police."

She said Inge would've stood out in the neighborhood because he wasn't a known figure in the area.

The quick arrest of a suspect gives the family some comfort, Hughes said.

"But it still won't bring (my aunt) back," Hughes.

(313) 222-2296

Read or Share this story: