Kidnapping suspect to be brought back to Detroit
A suspect in the kidnapping of a 13-year-old boy whose body was found last week in an overgrown field is expected to be brought back to Detroit after he waived extradition from Ohio, police said Monday.
Gregory Walker, 45, of Detroit waived his right to an extradition hearing on Monday, according to police. Walker will be brought back to Detroit, where he will be held in the Detroit Detention Center, police said.
Walker is accused of kidnapping Deontae Mitchell who was taken at gunpoint around 11:15 p.m. May 31 outside Nino’s Market on East Warren, police said. His body was found Thursday, less than five miles near Harper and Baldwin.
No charging decision was expected Monday in the case, according to the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office. Police submitted warrants for Walker and others allegedly involved in the case.
Walker and a female companion were arrested in Ohio on Thursday. The woman’s alleged role in the kidnapping is unclear.
According to police, Deontae was kidnapped after riding bikes with his cousin to the market. The boy’s cousin told police they saw Walker, who appeared to be drunk, drop money while urinating outside the store. Deontae picked up the money and the two rode away.
On Sunday, another suspect in the case, Ernest Coleman, 26, of Detroit was arraigned on kidnapping charges. A not-guilty plea was entered on Coleman’s behalf. Bond for Coleman was set at $1 million cash.