Detroit motorist won’t be charged in teen’s death
A Detroit motorist will no face charges in the death of a teenager who ran into her car on the city’s west side last week while allegedly trying to flee police, the Wayne County prosecutor’s office announced Friday.
The 26-year-old driver, Cynthia Clark, will get a ticket for driving on a suspended license. Clark was charged and arraigned Friday in 36th District Court on one count of operating a motor vehicle with license suspended which is a one-year misdemeanor. The woman received a $2,000 personal bond. She also must pay a fine of $350 by Aug. 26, the prosecutor’s office said.
The teen, 14-year-old Trent Moses, was allegedly speeding on a minibike around 40 to 45 mph around 9:10 p.m. June 10 near Paul Street and Rosemont when he was spotted by police. The speed limit for the residential area is 25 mph. Police say they turned on emergency lights to attempt to pull the teen over but he allegedly drove off at a high rate of speed attempting to evade the police car. The teen, police said, ran through several stop signs.
Police allegedly turned off their sirens and discontinued their pursuit of the teen, who had been riding with another teen on a different mini-bike, but they say he continued north on Rosemont and ran a stop sign striking the side of a white Pontiac as it traveled through the intersection. The police officers who had originally tried to pursue Moses heard the crash and responded to the incident.
At the time of the crash, the conduct of Moses speeding, evading the police and running multiple stop signs was grossly negligent, the prosecutor's office said in a statement.