Charles Pugh due in Detroit on sex charges
Detroit — A former Detroit City Council president is expected back in Michigan to face criminal sexual conduct charges in a case from more than a decade ago involving a then-14-year-old boy.
The Wayne County prosecutor’s office says Charles Pugh, 44, was to be extradited Thursday from his New York City jail cell back to Detroit. A spokeswoman for the prosecutor’s office said authorities don’t have an estimated time of when he will arrive back in Detroit, but that it could take several days.
He was arrested last month.
Prosecutors have said he engaged in sexually inappropriate behavior with a teen starting in 2003 when Pugh was a reporter and anchor at Detroit TV station WJBK. The complainant, who is 27 now, was 14 and 15 years old at the time, according to authorities.
Pugh met the 14-year-old in June 2003, when the teen was at the news station performing with a theater group. The teen asked Pugh about an internship and they exchanged numbers. Though the teen never worked an internship for Fox 2, Pugh kept in contact and allegedly began inviting the boy to his Detroit apartment that summer as they communicated via phone and text messages.
Pugh was elected to Detroit’s City Council in 2009, but quit in 2013.
“Despite what the defendant has meant to the city in the past, and the positive work he did here, we cannot and will not turn a blind eye to these alleged facts,” Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy said in a statement when charges were announced.