Police: Baby died after mom ran over her with car

Mark Hicks
The Detroit News

Detroit  — Standing outside a house on the city’s west side Thursday night, Mandy Jackson shook her head struggling to comprehend what had just unfolded there.

Police and relatives are seen outside the home on Westmoreland in Detroit where a 10-month-old girl was accidentally run over Aug. 18, 2016.

Police said Jada Taylor, Jackson’s 10-month-old granddaughter, died after her mother accidentally ran over the baby in the driveway of a home they’d been visiting.

Hours after officers were called to the scene in the 19500 block of Westmoreland, friends and relatives remained near the yellow police tape, embracing each other and wiping tears as they grappled with the loss.

“This is breaking everybody’s heart,” Jackson said as red and blue squad car lights flashed across the yard.

Authorities still are investigating, but a preliminary investigation found that the baby had been in the backyard with other children and at least one adult when she somehow ran to the front, said Officer Nicole Kirkwood, a spokeswoman for the Detroit Police Department.

Her mother was preparing to wash the 2002 Ford Explorer at about 6:30 p.m. but “when she moved the vehicle forward, she struck the child,” Kirkwood said.

The child was pronounced dead on arrival at a hospital, she said.

It wasn’t immediately clear if the mother, whom relatives identified as a 25-year-old woman pursuing nursing, would face charges.

“It was a tragic accident, but we’re still investigating,” Kirkwood said.

Family photo of Jada Taylor. The 10-month-old died Thursday night after her mother accidentally ran her over on Westmoreland in Detroit.

The family, which has three other children, just had bought the SUV to ease the mother’s commute to classes. “Her goal was to finish classes so she could get a good job and provide for her babies,” Jackson said.

The mother was known for doting on her “stair-step” children, said a friend at the scene. “She’s a sweet person. She’s a good person. She took care of her kids.”

Jada had recently learned how to walk and loved toddling around. “She was going to be the brightest of them all,” her grandmother said.

The mother was still at the hospital late Thursday, distraught and wanting to see her baby, also known as “Jada-Boo,” Jackson said.

It was too early to discuss funeral arrangements. “I don’t know how we’re going to do it, but they’re going to need help from everybody,” Jackson said.