Detroit girl, 12, dies after being electrocuted

Charles E. Ramirez
The Detroit News

A 12-year-old girl has died after being electrocuted by a downed wire while playing in her yard, Detroit police said Wednesday night.

The girl was playing with a friend when she came in contact with downed electrical wire, according to Officer Dan Donakowski.

The home is in the 16000 block of St. Marys Street near Greenfield and Puritan on the city’s west side.

Neighbors told WJBK (Fox 2 Detroit) that the wire has been down for more than a month. They said they’ve called DTE Energy numerous times.

DTE, city wires involved in girl's fatal electrocution

DTE Energy spokeswoman Stephanie Beres on Wednesday night said the company’s “investigation has revealed that the wire in question is the city’s Public Lighting Department equipment.” She said the company has notified the city.

“The incident that occurred tonight was tragic, and our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of the young lady,” Beres said.

“We are working with the city and other agencies as they investigate this unfortunate event. We will continue to work with the city to fully understand the circumstances.”

The city’s Public Lighting Department could not be reached for comment late Wednesday.

cramirez@detroitnews.com