SUBSCRIBE NOW
$1 for 3 months. Save 97%.
SUBSCRIBE NOW
$1 for 3 months. Save 97%.

Suspected barricaded gunman arraigned Friday

Holly Fournier
The Detroit News

A 25-year-old man was arraigned Friday on multiple charges after he allegedly threw a cinder block and fired shots at police during a domestic disturbance earlier this week, according to the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office.

Keith Montgomery is charged with the following: assault with intent to murder; felonious assault; first-degree home invasion; assault by strangulation; assault with intent to do great bodily harm; aggravated domestic violence; felony firearm; and reckless discharge of a firearm.

During his arraignment in 36th District Court, Montgomery received a $1 million bond, records show. His next court date is scheduled for Oct. 28, according to the prosecutor’s office.

Police initially got a call around 2:45 a.m. Wednesday about a domestic disturbance with shots fired at a house on the 900 block of Brentwood, south of Seven Mile and east of Interstate 75.

“It is alleged that the defendant broke into the home of a 24-year-old woman he was acquainted with and physically assaulted her and pointed a handgun at her head,” officials with the prosecutor’s office said. “When the police arrived at the location, the front door of the home was open and they could hear the defendant confronting the woman.”

Officers announced their presence and entered the home, officials said. Montgomery allegedly fled upstairs, throwing a cinder block at one officer and firing three shots in the direction of other officers.

Authorities took cover as Montgomery allegedly barricaded himself in the home and eventually escaped through an upstairs window. Police publicly released his name and photograph during their manhunt. He was later arrested, according to the prosecutor’s office.

It was not immediately clear when or how Montgomery was taken into custody.

Police on Wednesday said they were called to the home after Montgomery fired shots at his victim’s new boyfriend, who had arrived at the home to help the woman. An account from the prosecutor’s office did not mention the boyfriend’s presence in the home.

HFournier@detroitnews.com

(313) 223-4616

@HollyPFournier