Cops: Man dies after shootout in driveway; arrest made

James David Dickson
The Detroit News

A 42-year-old Detroit man is dead and a 38-year-old man is under arrest after an early Tuesday morning shootout that police say they believe started as an attempted robbery on the city’s east side.

The victim’s wife had just told her husband around midnight to move a car from the street to the driveway in the backyard, according to police. This was on the 18000 block of Gruebner, which is south of East Seven Mile and between East Outer Drive to the west and Hoover to the east.

A 42-year-old Detroit man is dead and a 38-year-old man is under arrest after an early Tuesday morning shootout that police say they believe started as an attempted robbery on the city’s east side.

He complied. When his wife came to open up the back door, though, she heard multiple gunshots, looked outside, and saw him laying in their driveway, shot, police said.

She ran back into the house, locked all of its doors, and called 911. The victim was pronounced dead at the scene, said Michael Woody, director of media relations for the Detroit Police Department.

But Woody said the victim had been armed with a handgun, and fired back at the suspect before taking the single shot in the back that would kill him.

He shot the suspect three times in the left hip, once in the right leg, once in the left leg, and once in his left hand,  Woody said.

Police caught up to the suspect at St. John Hospital, placed him under arrest, and recovered an assault rifle. He is still at the hospital in temporary serious condition, and officers are standing by.

jdickson@detroitnews.com