Man denied bail on 1st-degree murder in officer's death

Holly Fournier
The Detroit News

Romulus — The man suspected of killing on-duty Wayne State Police Officer Collin Rose was remanded to jail Friday on charges including first-degree murder.

DeAngelo Davis, 31, was charged with first-degree murder, murder of a police officer, being a felon in possession of a firearm, three felony firearm charges, and being a habitual offender.

Wayne State University police officer Collin Rose honors the memory of fallen DPD Officer Patrick Hill by naming his new K9 partner Wolverine, which was Hill's code name. Rose was shot near Wayne State Tuesday night.

He faces up to life in prison without parole on the murder charges and is due back in court for hearings Dec. 9 and Dec. 16. A judge entered a plea of not guilty on his behalf Friday.

Davis was arraigned by video Friday in 34th District Court, in a Romulus courtroom lined with uniformed police officers. Wayne State Police Chief Wayne Holt sat at a table before the judge, silently watching the brief hearing.

"It's more than important, it's crucial," Holt said of his presence Friday. "We lost a member of our department. We lost a member of our community."

Rose died around 5:45 p.m. Wednesday, less than 24 hours after he was shot in the head during an off-campus confrontation.

Defendant DeAngelo Davis, listens to the charges being read to him by Judge Vesta Svenson this afternoon.

Prosecutors allege that Rose was shot while attempting a traffic stop on Davis around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday near Lincoln and Brainard. Davis was riding a bicycle at the time, officials said. It was not clear Friday what led to the stop but police have said Rose did not appear to be targeted.

The officer called for backup at 6:31 p.m. When another WSU officer arrived at 6:34 p.m., Rose was found suffering from a gunshot wound and was transported to Detroit Receiving Hospital. Davis was arrested around 10 p.m. Tuesday, a few blocks from the shooting.

"Universally, Officer Rose was respected, admired, and one that had an excellent work ethic," Prosecutor Kym Worthy said in a statement announcing the charges. "Our hearts go out to the family and friends of Officer Rose. All of us at the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office grieve along with the Wayne State University community and the law enforcement community. This case strongly illustrates the dangers that police officers face every minute of every day."

Police earlier said the weapon had not been recovered. After the arraignment Friday, officials declined to comment about the investigation and would not confirm whether the weapon was still missing.

"The particulars of the investigation, I cannot speak to," Detroit Police homicide Lt. Charles Clark said. "We're confident with the investigation but it is ongoing," he said.

WSU Police Chief Anthony Holt answers questions from reporters after the arraignment.

Holt told reporters that Rose's family opted against attending the hearing Friday. His parents have returned to their home near Kalamazoo, while his fiancee was home Friday morning, accompanied by WSU officers.

Holt praised the community for its outpouring of support in the wake of Rose's death. Residents, including those from a Midtown homeless shelter, have trickled into the department's station to express their condolences, he said.

"Flowers are pouring into our station," said Holt, adding that around 150 officers kept vigil at the hospital as Rose died.

"We say that we're going to wrap our arms around each other," Holt said of the department's response to tragedy. "It was an amazing show of support. I had officers that worked midnight, officers that worked a double shift, and instead of going home, they went to the hospital."

Funeral arrangements are pending, Holt said.

"We want to do right by this officer and show people what he meant to our community."

Holt briefly hesitated when asked how he felt when Davis' image appeared on screen during the arraignment Friday.

"I'm trying to hold my position (as WSU Police Chief) and be professional," he said. "My first thought is I'm relieved he's where he's at, and off the street."

WSU is offering the community two opportunities to offer donations in Rose's memory, according to a statement released Friday.

Funds may be sent directly to the university to support its police department, where Rose's colleagues "work tirelessly and courageously to ensure the safety of our campus and community," officials said. People may donate online or make out checks to Wayne State University with "In memory of Collin Rose" in the notation field. Checks should be mailed to: WSU Gift Processing, 5475 Woodward Ave., Detroit, MI 48202.

Alternatively, people may contribute to a GoFundMe account set up by a WSU student, officials said. Those funds will go toward the officer's funeral and memorial expenses.

WSU Police Lt. Patrick Saunders, Rose's colleague, attended Davis' arraignment Friday and spoke afterward about the police department's loss.

"The thing about Collin that everyone needs to know is that no matter what was going on, there was a smile on his face," Saunders said. "He was a friend to everyone. He was a character."

Saunders appeared to choke up when asked the names of Rose's two police dogs, Clyde and Wolverine.

Like Holt, Saunders spoke of overwhelming support from inside and outside the department, extending to the small hometown of Rose's parents.

"When they rolled into town on Thanksgiving, all the lights were blue," Saunders said.

(313) 223-4616